While the effects of mindfulness practice are often immediate, sustainable systematic change can take 3-5 years. Reset suggests as a “Best Practices Model” the following course of instruction:
- Elementary – 10 weeks of in-classroom instruction for teachers and students taught by Reset instructors (15-20 minute modules)
- High School – 9 weeks of in-classroom instruction for a full class period
- Professional development for teachers and staff that specifically addresses how mindfulness is a part of social and emotional learning and trauma sensitive schools.
- Reset offers the following professional development series which can be provided on-site as a part of after school staff meetings or as workshops during in-service days.
- Teacher mentoring for Reset classroom breaks
- Reset Curriculum Training for entire school staff or designated “Mindfulness Coaches/Champions”
- Reset in-classroom instruction for teachers and students taught by Reset instructors and team taught with trained classroom teachers or Mindfulness Coaches/Champions
- Student mentor program
- Mentoring for Mindfulness Coaches/Champions
- Teacher and Administrative leadership training for sustainability
- Professional development, need-based workshops, or study groups (concentration areas determined by schools) for teachers and staff
- Additional support for Mindfulness Coaches/Champions
After three consecutive terms (spanning a full school year) of Reset In-Classroom instruction and Student Mentor Training, a Milwaukee Metropolitan School saw referrals decreased by 328 students when compared to the previous year.